Skip to main content

The Ombudsman

FHFA is an independent agency of the federal government that regulates and supervises the housing government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs).

The housing GSEs are Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the Federal Home Loan Banks (FHLBanks), the FHLBank System’s Office of Finance, and Common Securitization Solutions, LLC (CSS).

The FHFA Office of the Ombudsman was established pursuant to the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 and FHFA implementing regulations. The Office is responsible for independent, neutral consideration of complaints and appeals on matters relating to FHFA's regulation and supervision of the housing GSEs.

The Office of the Ombudsman does not consider consumer complaints.  If you are a homeowner or homebuyer with a complaint, please see our Homeowners & Homebuyers page.

Neither FHFA nor any FHFA employee may retaliate against a GSE or a person for submitting a complaint or appeal to the Ombudsman.

What the FHFA Ombudsman Does

  • Considers complaints and appeals relating to the regulation and supervision of the housing GSEs:

    • Complaints may be submitted by any housing GSE or by any person with a business relationship with a housing GSE; and

    • Appeals may be submitted by any housing GSE;

  • Conducts independent inquiries and acts as a neutral facilitator or mediator to help resolve complaints and appeals in a fair and timely manner; and

  • Submits findings of fact and recommendations to the FHFA Director concerning complaints and appeals that are not resolved administratively or by consent.

What the FHFA Ombudsman Does Not Do

  • Handle consumer complaints (if you are a homeowner or homebuyer with a complaint, please see our Homeowner & Homebuyers page);

  • Facilitate or mediate disputes for which there is an existing avenue of appeal or other forum, such as matters in litigation, arbitration, or mediation; or a matter within the jurisdiction of the FHFA Office of Inspector General; 

  • Handle employment disputes involving the housing GSEs (any housing GSE employee should address concerns to the appropriate office within their institution).

Are Complaints and Appeals Confidential?

The Office of the Ombudsman will honor requests not to disclose the identity of a person submitting a complaint or appeal, or the information or materials provided by a party, except to appropriate reviewing officials or as required by law.

How to Contact the Ombudsman

Complaints and appeals must be submitted in writing and include the information above.  No specific form is required.

Electronic submissions may be made at: 

File A Complaint

Or sent by email to:

Submissions may be sent by U.S. mail to: 

Federal Housing Finance Agency
Constitution Center
400 7th Street, SW
Washington, D.C.  20219

For information on Accessibility and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act, click on this link
Accessibility Page

If you have a disability and the format of any material on our Web pages interferes with your ability to access the information, please contact the Agency’s webmaster at or at 202-649-3031.

Procedures of the FHFA Office of the Ombudsman may be found here:  Ombudsman Procedures

Resources for Making Complaints on Matters Outside FHFA Ombudsman Authority

To report suspected fraud or find resources about suspected fraud:

To submit complaints about institutions other than housing GSEs:

FHFA regulates and supervises Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the FHLBanks, the Office of Finance of the FHLBank System, and CSS.  Other federal agencies regulate and supervise other financial institutions.  For complaints relating to institutions regulated by agencies other than FHFA, please see the ombudsman office contact information below.

Consumer Finance Protection Bureau
Enforces federal consumer financial laws at banks, credit unions, and other financial companies
855-830-7880 or

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Charters and regulates national banks, thrifts, and savings banks

Federal Reserve System
Supervises and regulates banking institutions that are members of the Federal Reserve System
800-337-0429 or

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Regulates state chartered banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System
877-275-3342 or

National Credit Union Administration
Regulates credit unions
703-518-1175 or